You know what’s going down on Thursday, don’t you? And you can probably even predict how the whole thing’s gonna shake out! You swear you’re going to be “so good” (food-wise), but then you go CRAY-ZEEEEE!!! You have a little of this and a little of that. You start off with the healthier choices of course, but then gradually eat your way thru every option on the table, including a little bit of each dessert. Before you know it, you’re so full you could explode! (But you may even keep ‘nibbling’ cuz everything looks so good and it IS Thanksgiving after all! Oh, and did I mention the buzz you’re sporting from the drinks you had before you even got started? Yup, there’s that too!) Then comes THAT time!! You’re beating yourself up, wondering how you let yourself screw up so badly, wondering how to undo the damage done! If you cannot relate, stop reading here. You’re my HERO and you should be writing this blog! Otherwise, read on, cuz I think I may have your back on this one!
(CONTINUE READING HERE) First of all, why is it that so many people don’t even bat an eyelash while shoving food into their faces!? That’s so unfair and I hate ‘those people’, ….but I digress! With a little planning, you can and SHOULD pig out right along side those non-eyelash-batters. We just need a plan, which I just so happen to have! (Warning: this a meal plan for one week!) Read on if you’re in!
So for the SHORT version of the THURSDAY/SPLURGEDAY plan: Starting tomorrow (Monday) eat a healthy, lean protein (3-5 ounces) and at least 2 cups of veggies with every meal. Use no more than 1 teaspoon of a fat with each meal and go easy on the condiments that have sugar. For breakfast, however, skip the healthy fat and add a carb (see examples below in my in-depth description) on Tues, Weds, Sat & Sun only. WORKING OUT EACH DAY WILL HELP A LOT! But if you JUST followed these eating rules, you’ll be golden for Thursday/SplurgeDay! And hey, if you need SPECIFIC ideas for meals, just ask me!
One caveat! Amounts and how frequently you eat come into play. Women should stay on the lower of the 3-5 ounces, and men the higher. Also, if you eat 5 meals a day, eat smaller portions. If you eat 3 meals, eat a little more. Do your own math. See below for a more in depth explanation of “THE PLAN”. Follow this plan up until the arrival of your first Thanksgiving guest (even if you are the guest arriving!). Good luck to us all! WE GOT THIS!!! 😎
MORE IN DEPTH EXPLANATION – and feel free to ask away in the COMMENTS!
For one week, Mon thru Sun ….
Every one of your meals, **except for breakfast, and I’ll get to that in a minute, should consist of:
* A Protein
3-5 ounces of lean meats (or a palm of your hand size) or 4 egg whites, (ask me if you need more ideas or quantities!)
At least 2 cups worth, raw or cooked or combo of the two
* ONE HEALTHY FAT (i.e. 1 teaspoon organic virgin coconut oil or 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, or 1/3 of an avocado, or 1 oz of cheese or 1T of salad dressing, or 2 egg yolks)
* Condiments should be used VERY sparingly. If you like to sauté your veggies, adhere to oil amounts above and/or use veggie broth, coconut aminos or soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, lemon – all really great for sautéing. But you must have at LEAST 2 cups veggies with each meal, whether you eat 3 or 5 meals!
* WITH BREAKFAST ONLY add a healthy carb but MINUS the fat only on the following mornings: Tues, Weds, Sat and Sun. Some great low-carb options for a breakfast carb are Trader Joe’s Sprouted 7 grain bread (only 7 grams of carbs in a slice – you can have two!) or Ezekiel 4:9 breads (1 slice). A carb can also be 1 cup of (organic frozen) berries of any kind (ie. in a smoothie with protein powder as your protein and 2 cups kale) or 3/4 cup of cooked oatmeal.
* Try to eat every three hours! I know it sounds crazy, but with a little preparation, it’s really very easy! For example, I roast (just in the oven on 450* with kosher salt) a bunch of veggies that I have in my fridge all week! I can throw them in a tupperware and hit the road! I also carry protein-powder envelopes with me in case I’m out and about and don’t have protein options. Tempeh travels great too! I can keep it with me all day and eat 2 ounces at a time if I’m eating every 3 hrs.
* Working out helps a LOT! Try to do 45 mins each day (maybe even Thursday morning?) of cardio. If you’re really amped, do three days of weight training too (skipping a day in between each weigh-lifting day).
So that’s kinda it in a nutshell! This WORKS! PROMISE! You’ll feel great going into Thursday and jump right back in on Friday, finishing up strong on Sunday. This is the principal I use with my clients, and again – this is just a one week REALLY SKIMMED DOWN version of it. I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to ask questions or get meal ideas, etc! WISHING YOU AND YOURS A HAPPY AND HEARTY (no guilt) SPLURGEDAY!!! 😆